The story of a 19 year old kid stealing and drinking by himself seems like one that has become all too common. You might think that 2 years later, this 19 year old kid would be homeless, a drug addict, still stealing, or worse. You’d be wrong. David Guymon is married, working with special needs adults, and his goal in life is to be a role model to those around him, a father, and a teacher. Always looking forward to the future, and trying to better his life every day. This, above all else, is the reason that I have chose to write about David for this assignment.
I first met David when he was a musician, playing shows in the Salt Lake and Provo areas. After we became closer friends, I got to know David, not just as a musician, but as a person. I was immediately drawn to his positive personality and the influence he exerted. When I met David, I was going through a rough period in my life, and a positive influence was what I was looking for. I found it in David.
David’s philosophy on life is that you need to work so that you can give everything away. I never could have said it so eloquently. This is a great philosophy to have on life, especially pertaining to a person’s self-esteem and self confidence. The most important part of self confidence is having a good sense of self, and being able to help people have the same thing. The whole unit, we have focused on building up yourself, so that you can have a self confidence that won’t crumble at the first sign of trouble, and I believe the best way to do that is with a positive attitude about yourself, and helping other people. David is my role model because he does these things in his everyday life.
David is, and probably always will be, a very important part of my life. He lives his life for other, and inspires me, and those around him, to do the same. Having a relationship with David is an important part of my life because he has taught me how to be positive, even when everything seems difficult. He has taken the worst parts of his life, like his father passing away and his past habits, without trying to gloss them over and make them mean less than they do, and turned them into positive experiences that have made him into a better person, and that is something that I now value in my friendships more than I ever have.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Umm where was the warning that tissue would be needed! :o)
Wow that was so wonderful to read. I'm not gonna lie I got pretty emotional because I can truly relate. Che and I knew each other since 2003 and he was different in a lot ways back then. He had a temper and didn't exactly do the right things. I mean we all have right? But we became great friends and hung out almost every day. We worked together at Carinos which is where his temper would come out and I always defended him...he was my friend. People were very quick to judge but I knew better. Someone should be there and give him second chance because that's what friends do. Che doesn't have any siblings and is an only child. His mom has been married a few times and his real dad was a jerk and eventually he was adopted by his present father whom he loves and they are all very happy. He has a truly wonderful family. But it was a hard time for him. He had a few of those moments that were really hard. Even though yeah he was pretty negative a lot, I never gave up on him. And as time moved on he changed so much for the better. the more we hung out the better it became and I saw the real Che that I love come out. Which is a positive very sweet and driven person. We were married in the temple and we both have a strong testimony of the gospel. No one thought his attitude would ever change...except me. I knew him better than anyone and knew he had so much good in him. I married the sweetest guy in the world. Anyway, I know it's not exactly the same but I too love my relationship with my husband. He is my best friend and has been through a lot in his life. And he's as strong and happy as ever. I can't believe how lucky we are :)
McKenzie! This so exciting that you have a blog. We can be blog friends! It looks like you are so happy, and that makes me happy! Keep in touch!
I can see more and more of your dad in you. I am very proud of the changes you have made.
Love ya
Wow! I tell you what! Wow! I hope you never forget this David! Now I understand a lil better why Clint says you're so awesome and loves being your hometeacher!
Whew. This means a lot, David.
Post a Comment