
Dear Dad,
It has been two months since you entered the gates of Heaven; two months since I last saw you. In those two months I have grown tremendously into the man that you had always hoped that I would become. I owe little gratitude to myself, and all of my thanks to you and who you are. Even after you have left this physical world, you continue to be a radiant example and standard in my life. I feel you next to me as I counsel my wife in her struggles. I know that you are watching over my shoulder as I continue to study strategy in Scrabble. And I feel your presence as I sit in the Lord's house and strive to be a better person. I missed dressing you up as a tank for Halloween. We would have laughed at that for hours until you told me to shut up or else you would run me over. I missed eating platefuls of food at Thanksgiving. And I will miss spending Christmas Eve with you more than ever. Yet I know that you are still with me, and that you feel welcome in our home. I think about you every time the Runnin' Utes suit up to defend the honor that their team has fought for. And I sometimes cry as they prevail, always knowing that somewhere my father is jumping up and down with his hands in the air. Your voice still remains a vivid memento of your life here on earth. And I still remember how it feels to hug you and have you kiss me on the cheek. I have taken strides in becoming the husband that you expected me to be to my wife, and pray every day for your approval. There isn't a moment that goes by that you aren't in my thoughts and prayers. I know that you think of me often too. Please feel free to stop by on Christmas morning. There will be presents under the tree which read "To: McKenzie and David From: Dad". If Santa can feel at home enough to come down our chimney, then surely you will feel home enough to walk through our door. Hope to see you soon.
Your Son
David Jr.


1 comment:
That is really touching, David. I'm sitting here at work all teary. Thanks for sharing. It is a nice reminder of the importance of family, especially during the holidays. I hope you guys are doing well. :)
Post a Comment